Patricia:
all right 1301 presentation discussion and or action on facility
rental overview and process so we'll turn it over to Mr Huynh our new business
officer oh no and I will pass the ball over to Matt to welcome Matt good
evening
Superintendent Vander Zee:
hey Matt don't get set up like that here over the last couple
years we've heard many comments about the Facilitron or the use of facilities
by the public or the rates of that or the processes for asking for a facility
rental or when a deposit is made and given and how do charges get established
and what are the rules for this um and how do we maintain while we're renting
facilities how do we make sure that they stay in good repair right so tonight
what we're going what Matt's going to be presenting with us is just kind of an
overview of Ed code as it relates to it pricing how the process works and in so
doing in inviting your observations values maybe your questions which will
allow the team to go away then and maybe uh synthesize some of that and come
back with some U recommendations for your determination tonight so tonight
there's no action this is just for you to get an overview and for us to hear
some of your observations values or questions um in public absolutely adjust
the microphone can you guys hear me okay Mr. Matt Sidlauskas: good evening my
name is Matt Sidlauskas I'm the director of Maintenance and operations for the
district please bear with me when I get nervous I talk really fast so just tell
me to slow down that's okay tonight we're going to cover four things we're
going to go over the Civic Center act and funding which is basically why we run
our facilities and the rules of earning our facilities we're going to talk
about Facilitron the platform we use to process our reservations we're going to
do a price comparison comparing our pricing to neighboring districts pricings
and we're going to talk about next steps and how we go forward from here so
we're going to start off tonight with the state States Civic Center act our
board policies and funding sources the next page so the Civic Center act
authorizes the use of school facilities as Civic centers uh for the good of the
public it allows and requires some circumstances the charging of fees for these
uh services so the ACT identifies three groups and fees that can be charged for
each group so the first group is nonprofits and organizations designed to
promote Youth and school activities the district May charge what's called
direct costs and we'll talk about direct costs in the next page religious
organizations in the district shall charge direct costs and general use the
district shall charge fair rental value and we'll talk about Fair rental value
so for the next page so what is direct cost the state likes to use these weird
terms that don't make any sense the code so direct cost up until January of
2025 are the costs of supplies utilities janitorial services District employees
employees associated with the administration of the rental program as well as a
proportional share of the maintenance repair restoration and refurbishment of
the space for the time it's being rented and after January of 2025 that last
bullet point the uh maintenance repair restoration and refurbishment goes away
so the States changing the law in January so what is fair rental value by the
name you would think it's you know a competitive rate something You' go and
rent a space for in the public unfortunately that's not the case so fair rental
value is the direct cost uh plus a share of the long-term wear and tear or
depreciation of the building and equipment for the time the runner is using the
building so if a runner is running the building for three hours they would pay
for that 3 hours of depreciation we go to the next page so we have two main
board policies that talked about facilities use the first is section 1330 which
outlines are procedures for rentals and identifies three rental groups that's
no charge nonprofits and then all other groups and section 1330e which
establish our fee schedule and fee structure so I'm a maintenance person I like
buildings that's kind of of my world I live in so I'd like to look at um why we
charge fees in terms of the building and the life cycle of the building so when
we have a new building we build it through either um um property tax dollars or
Bond dollars the building then gets used and the students and staff use the
space for its educational functions and the district pays for that through the
district's General funds A Community member business or others may use the
space uh not related to its educational functions and they would pay the cost
associated with that usage and then at the end of the cycle bond fund or
property tax dollars are used to either modernize or rebuild a school building
go to the next page so a common misconception that I hear is that facility
rentals is a profit center for the district I even got that from my wife as I
Was preparing this she's a works at one of our school sites and I'm like forun
that's not the case so uh direct costs is basically recuperating some of the
costs associated with the um building itself so upkeeping the building and the
use of the time Fair rental value adds in the portion of the depreciation of
the building neither of these calculations are more than the district's cost
for the space that's being rented and both are less than what a runer would find
on the open market so if we look at the next page we did a comparison uh
comparing what it would cost to rent a multi-purpose room at one of our high
schools for a weekend uh compared to some um spaces you could run in the
neighborhood so um some public spaces so um Scott Right Center some open public
spaces kind stuff generally speaking our cost is between 50 and 75% less
expensive than our
neighboring so we go to the next page our road map we're going to talk about Facilitron generally 50 to 75% less expensive than what than the private sector other school so then so if one of our renters was to go rent a private space so an event Hall a uh space to hold a reception of sorts our spaces are between 50 and 75% less expensive than that it's not comparing to other school districts correct to the lab to the market exactly yeah so we'll talk about comparing to school districts in one more section so we have a side de talking about comparing is coming y all right so next up on our road map we're going to talk about Facilitron.
Facilitron is a centralized facility rental platform that
the district uses to manage all of our facilities rentals so some key benefits
to our renters are the ability to view our spaces online a variety of ways to
pay for our spaces a convenient method to purchase insurance and 24-hour
support from um catron team and a whole bunch more and some key benefits the
district include One calendar to manage all their reservations so it manages
School site reservations it manages veral registrations and it manages um
maintenance BLX so I need to take a space down for maintenance I can do that in
Facilitron it processes customer payments and refunds for us it verifies the
renters uh nonprofit status for us it verifies the insurance documents that they're
accurate and they meet the requirements of the district uh it provides customer
support for us and it provides analysis reporting best practices and a whole
bunch more that we use so I want to walk you guys through kind of an overview
of how one of our renters one of our community members would rent one of our
spaces go to the next page so from the facilit on landing page on the top right
hand corner we're going to click sign up and we're going to create an account
that's going to ask us for typical information your name your email address um
your contact information and the type of organization so is it a personal use
is it a nonprofit is it a business go to the next page so for this
demonstration I use a search box and I searched for a boardroom and I found
this beautiful boardroom that we're in right now so I clicked on it and if we
go to the next page it brings us to the um homepage for the boardroom and that
homepage shows photos of the space it shows details on the space such as
capacity such as rates such as amenities and it has a calendar showing the
availability of the space it's kind of hard to see but little green dots mean
that it's available and the little grade Out boox means that there's no
availability using the calendar we're going to click on a day to schedule a
reservation if we go to the next page so that little box where the calendar was
changes to a little time frame and it shows the available time on the day that
the space is available we're going to select our time frame and we're going to
click continue I don't have it on here but the little popup box is going to pop
up it's going to ask you to see if you want to do any more spaces for that same
time so if you need more than one space you can do it all at the same time so
next we're going to take taken to the page where we can add additional dates to
our reservations so if we want to add additional dates for the same space
additional dates for different dates we can do it all in one checkout process
and then we're going to click check out and the next page uh we're asked to
provide some additional information about our event so the name of the
organization or the name of the person that's going to be kind of heading up
the event uh the event name the type of event the number of people that's
attending and some general information and most importantly for us is how they
want the event set up so for this boardroom do they want in a presentation
format do they want it a use shape how they want to have it set up uh once
complete we'll click continue and then we'll go to the next page this page
we're offered a couple things so we're offer to purchase insurance through Facilitron
so you don't have to purchase insurance through Facilitron but you do have to
have insurance in order to use our spaces uh Facilitron insurance is convenient
but people can also do insurance to their homeowners insurance their third
party apps there a whole bunch of ways you can get insurance if you wanted to
we're offer the opportunity to run tables and chairs for the event and once we
make those selections we're going to click continue going to go to the next
page so we're asked to agree uh to the district terms and conditions for using
the space and just for the board members information one of the terms that we have
to agree to when using our spaces is we will not hold anything that overthrows
the government I learned that we're preparing this so no overthrowing the
government for me there is we're not allowed to rent facilities to anybody who
wants to overthrow the government that's one of that's one of the requirements
in Ed code y that's one of the surprising things that I found when I was
researching this is that is a requirement in end code and we have to ask a
question and make sure that they're agreeing not to do that so yeah I was kind
of surprised so you're weird fact for the night yeah uh so if we go to the next
page so we are asked to pay for a deposit on the space uh this helps prevent
fraudulent or deny of service type um attacks against the reservation system
and we can pay this via credit card VI eCheck by PayPal or we can actually mail
in a paper check if you want to do that a lot of businesses do that and if we
go to the next page our request has been submitted and is waiting for approval
and review by the school site uh we have the ability of this page to submit a
message regarding the reservation so it's like a email message going to the
site but it's tracked in the system so we can see all the different messages
back and forth if we choose not to purchase insurance through Facilitron we can
upload our insurance document here and we can upload other documents if there's
any other documents and we can also now manage this reservation from the
facility on dashboard a little dashboard that shows all your reservations we
can now see it in that dashboard so if we go to the next page so the
reservation's been made and now it goes to our school site for review so
typically this is done by the associate principal administrative services or
the APA at the school sites um that's done our comprehensive sites sometimes
their smaller sites have somebody else who does it but um they will confirm
that the space is available for use there's no conflicts that they're not
having like three M major events at the same time that kind of stuff they'll
verify what Staffing is necessary for the event so um by default Facilitron
will automatically put in like one custodian for weekends it it knows whether
they custodians on staff or not but they need to look and review hey do we need
a a tech do we need more than one custodian do we need pool techs that kind of
stuff so they'll look at that and then they'll confirm that the staff is
available so is there actual staff that can come in and do the work do they
need to find staff on other sites how that make sure that's all taken care of
and there's a whole bunch of additional items they need to look into so is
security needed for the event are there neighborhood events going on at the
same time that might conflict and you know impact things is there school issues
going on your construction that might impact the event all this kind of add-on
stuff they're going to look at and review before they approve the reservation
so if we go to the next page our next step on our road trip it's Mr herrera's
Question on comparing prices between us and our neighboring districts so if we
go to the next page so I tried my best to make everything as equal as possible
so I used my own email address and set of my own account so it wasn't on a
school account I didn't get anything confusing there um I selected insurance
for everybody that would select insurance that was equal there um everybody but
Fremont Union provides Insurance to to the platform Fremont union doesn't so um
all the insurance cost is the same so I put on the next deck you look at um
kind of an estimate of insurance for Fremont Union and then facilit charges a
service fee to cover the cost of their operations so how districts pay for this
service varies so at East Side we split it so the service fee is 10% we pay 5%
out of our general fund uh the renter pays 5% some districts pay for everything
out of the general fund some districts charge the rentor everything it really
just depends on how it's set up so we go to the next page so this one is comparing
um a swimming pool for 5 hours on a weekend so our rental fees and Freemont
unions are really similar and then our our neighboring districts are between
$240 and $750 higher than ours so just so you guys know kind of how this breaks
down so our cost is along the top if it's red then it's higher than ours if
it's green I don't think there's any Greens. Greens is lower than ours and then
if I didn't color it it means it's kind of equal or within about 100 bucks of
each other cost differences provided um the down payments so most districts
charge 35% uh gilway charge is 25% for down payment uh service fee and then how
it's split so us and gilway charge 5% so we split it the other three districts
provided um the district pays the entire thing of their general fund any notes
so like Santa Clair UniFi charge a $500 fundable deposit in addition to the
fees and then uh FL we talked about about Freemont Union does not include
insurance so I put in a estimate there for insurance based on the average price
or the the price for this use and of broke down the price there for you guys so
I hope that all makes
sense yeah so what I did was I uh made a mock reservation
for a pool at each of these locations and uh used the fee the Facilitron split
out so some sites might go in and charge you know extra fees you know I can't
tell what other sites will put in after the reservation is accepted this is
just the base price for all the sites so um that makes sense so if we go to the
next page so I did a sample for a um do the right one classroom right yeah a
classroom at rental for four hours on a weekday our rental fees were coming in
lower than all of our neighboring districts go to the next page so I did a
library for four hours on a weekend uh Freemont Union us are coming in again
about the same price and the neighboring districts are coming in uh bit higher
than us and the last comparison I did was for a football stadium for three
hours on a weekday our pricing came in lower than our neighboring districts uh
one thing to note here is some districts for the um football stadium for the
pools though I didn't put in here but they'll go in they'll charge you know
extra fees for the restrooms of the stadium for the locker rooms and those are
mandatory fees so we don't charge in those mandatory fees so so if we go to the
next page on our last step for the road trip and that's next steps so our next
steps are we'd like to review and update our board policies and administrative
regulations regarding facility rentals we'd like to conduct a fee study to
determine appropriate rental fees um in order to be in compliance with the
Chang in the law coming in 2025 and we'd like to review and update our
operational processes and procedures uh focusing on uh routings and approvals
response times uh for our sites to approve the reservations and then uh review
our deposit amounts and how we can make deposit amounts a little bit easier
will not eliminate them that makes sense so that concludes my presentation so
I'm ready to answer a gazillion questions awesome thank you very much um okay
we've got a comment over oh K let's start with Katie Katie has no no no no no
we defer to Katie go ahead
Katie: hi thank you very much for your presentation um I had
a question because at Independence we've had many cultural dance clubs who have
wanted to rent out the theater before yep and so when talking to a School
faculty member they were charged each Club was charged a thous over $ thousand
dollar for using um the theater for a few hours of showcase and um earlier
before the meeting I tried I went on Facilitron and I saw how I tried seeing
how much it was to rent the theater and it was $441 which is a big difference
than what they were asking student clubs to make what they had to fundraise for
um just to pay to use their own theater so my question is how is the fees
decided on Facilitron and when students want to use facil ities like the
theater should they go to the website should they talk to the teachers who are
supposed to decide the fees or how does that process work yeah
so generally speaking student events that are for our
students and run by our students should have no fee so I can talk to your
assistant asso principal administrative services and see what's going with that
if it's an event that's being used to um by like outside groups and that kind
of stuff then it would have a fee and then you have to go through Facilitron so
let me talk let me follow up with your administrative team and see what's going
on there there may be some sort of is there something going on there refund
refund um yeah uh I want to make a general comment that I um
it bothers me that we used to have uh in our budget um maintenance costs and
capital expenditures for when we need to handle you know the Aging facility or
something like that and that this legisl shifted some or significantly you know
onto users what used to be otherwise handled in our budget both operational and
capital expense it just it just bothers me especially you know when it's you
know groups that are doing good work in our community uh and it doesn't bother
me if it's some private you know group that is charging money making money and
whatever that doesn't bother me they can pay all the fees but it bothers me
that we have a system in place that a portions some of the cost of mid to
long-term maintenance and and repair and all of that stuff I just making that
as a general statement um so just so you know on that part that part of the
legislation is ending in Janu January of 2025 so it's ending that portion of it
yeah so the the ability to charge for the maintenance the those items there
goes away in January 2025 well that's nice um
the other comment I had
um I had it right on the tip of my tongue when it comes back
you I'm here um um oh yeah you have to come back I have other comments too but
I'll remember them in a moment I'll be here no worries I'll be asking a lot of
questions your question to pop
up thank you um what when did we start using Facilitron as a
platform to rent out our space about 10 years ago 10 years ago did we so we had
a a probably a pen and paper or some sort of format to I see Tom our CEO
nodding his head when we make this transitions do we when that are
challenges or dispute or a misunderstanding which one is our responsible on
ours side which one is resp responsible facil because they are receiving this
10% of the fee Where is the division line what do you mean so so like Katie
asked earlier hey I'm going Facilitron and applying for this they're charging
400 and perhaps they should be charging a different amount does she contact her
her APA like you suggest earlier or does she contact Facilitron where is the
you member of the public me the public may not have access to the APA the way
that our students may have access to so think of Facilitron as a pass through
for information so don't think of necessarily as a a a roadblock think of it as
a a communication portal so basically when a a person calls into Facilitron the
Facilitron rep will reach out to the site contact so generally the APA if they
have um questions that they need expedited or they need have questions that
they need escalated then are route to me to kind of deal with escalation level
so Facilitron doesn't make any decisions for us so decisions are all left with
East Side they act as the communication platform and the platform for use
basically has an 800 number when people Reserve is that the contact to Facilitron
so there's lots of different contacts to Facilitron so 800 number is one
there's a live chat option they can use and they can also use a messaging
function inside their dashboard inside their reservation so so going back to
the basic questions what I'm trying to understand is what is the division of
responsibility which one is the isi union APA SL isi where and way is the
divisions for Facilitron be responsible for so so Facilitron is merely the
platform that we use to advertise to um accept the reservations and take
payment as far as decisions around pricing and um you know specific
accommodations that's up to the school site to accommodate customer service
response who is responsible that's the School site the School site all right
and that whenever you oh yeah you can jump in any time I'm I'm I'm rolling for
a while in the same case if a student group was to go to Administration and say
we're holding this event the administration can just block out that time and
place through facilit on without the student group having to go through the
process uh the payment process so it's within the student groups abilities to
work with Administration to say can you block out this theater for this number
of hours because you you agree that we can host an event exactly generally the
athletic directors the activities directors the apas all have access to make
reservations for their different groups and their different Specialties some
sites have more um people that can make reservations than generally and in
those cases the student group shouldn't be charged in the way that the
administration can block out the gym for basketball games or League games in
same similar with same idea y um the legislation that created this system I I
clearly understand that it authorized districts being able to do this did it
mandate it it did for most things so uh if you jump back Mr superintendent back
to the slide that says the uh May and shall I don't remember which number it is
so by state law we're mandated to handle our facilities in this manner yeah so
for nonprofits and organizations designed to promote Youth and school
activities the district May charge direct costs that's a May that's not a
mandate correct yep so for religious organizations the distri district shall
charge direct cost that's a mandate and for General use the district shall
charge fair rental value but the ones close most closely in it's May there are
some there may absolutely y okay well that's a pretty major distinction uh the
other thing is do we have a body of uh customer satisfaction feedback or issues
that customers have experienced or before we get to any uh deliberation on decisions
and whatever I would certainly be interested in surveying the customers that we
now have a history of serving I can see and probing for what was their
experience you know what uh what was difficult or even just as our student just
recounted you know they surprised that to use their own theater they're
supposed to raise ,000 dollar or something you know I I I really want to hear
all of the issues that arose for people across time uh and and I'd like it
documented you know just so it's part of what we deliberate on yeah we
definitely see that's available yeah um and I forgot one last thing what do you
mean by Across Time well it's been 10 years that we've been using Facilitron
over the 10 years we've been serving the community different groups and so on sure
and we have records of who we have served through this system I mean over those
10 years instead of using the phrase across time let's find out let's probe you
know even if you reach a percentage of them that respond and engage and give
feedback it'll be valuable data makes sense that's also another that there
that's also another
components our site are are being managed by the our
administrators on the Facilitron do we do we provide training to ourside
administrator on the policy the usage of Facilitron we do so at least since
I've started as the Director of facilities uh every new administrator so every
new APA who usually oversees it and every new principle uh we've gone through
and done a orientation and one of the things we cover is the board policies in
relation to Facilitron how to use Facilitron how to you know look through it
how to understand how it works and Facilitron also has a wide network of
training videos training documents on how to use it you share with them and do
do we have some statistics on which site get usage Bap per you know we have ACC
calling our 16 site do we have our statistics on that so I just pulled some
real brief information as I was sitting back there um so this is for the last
school year uh so there were 618 external reservations um which equals out to
about 1.6 uh just over $ 1.6 million uh the top reservations is are external
reservations only uh were Yerba bua with 102 reservations Pont Hills with 100
reservations and Mount Pleasant for with 81 reservations I can pull more data
but that's but those are the top three Yeah well yeah yeah um it would I don't
know how we would gather this kind type of data that I'm going to say uh but if
we could it would be interesting and that is the opportunity cost groups that
have not proceeded with something when they encountered this system and its
costs you know and so on again I don't know how how one would determine that
but basically you could survey some of the key nonprofits in the area that may
be hard to because I my my my instinct intuition is it has sty groups as
they've encountered Facilitron and its fees and oh my God and you know the
group the student group that was just mentioned was able to work with what they
were surprised to discover thousand dollar to use their own theater but there
are going to be other groups out there that didn't go forward with some because
of the of this system and its costs you know and again I don't know how that
would be documented but it would be interesting well and if I could um gently challenge
you a little bit um I want to make
sure given that we're entering into a period now where we
have you know uh limited resources human resources to get you know accomplish
things um I think I would rather have the facility staff be working on taking
care of our facilities rather than doing marketing surveys and things like that
that that's just this board memb U feeling about it I we're I mean the board
has being engaged at a policy level to review something that's been in
operation for 10 years and the kind of data I'm suggesting certainly surveying
our customer this other part I you know I'm just saying I don't even know how
you would do that uh but I don't see that as marketing I see that as as
essentially research and Analysis at the level of a policy discussion at the
board and if that doesn't get accomplished this ambiguous one I mean I can
totally understand that it wouldn't be accomplished but certainly we can survey
our customer base with some kind of an instrument for what end though because I
mean this is I'm clearly seeing that this isn't like a money-making thing for
us um and and to it isn't there's no profit right so the charges that we charge
are to offset the cost of the districts right so when somebody's using a
facility the air conditioning is running the lights are running um the
custodian's there to clean up the PG me still run all that kind of stuff so
when somebody runs our facilities all they're paying for is that little bit of
cost that is associated with that usage there's no profit there's no add-on
besides that well you know it it would be interesting to do a sampler survey
doesn't have to be the whole base just to get some yeah what was people's
experience that's all we we'll look we could do differently we will look into what
we can do um in contacting philatron and and finding those users who have
booked or have declined the reservations um and then we'll follow up with with
you with regarding those surveys and and data points and I just would put some
scope on that like you know don't spend uh 40 hours of a week doing that you
know so yeah well I I support what board president is saying you know this is
not meant to suddenly take you off task or shift priorities but you're at the
board level right now with with an engagement and you know thank you I I I I
appreciate your perspective and your Viewpoint and our B president as well I do
want to drive back to what I think our pres is alluding to because we have
limited resource and we may have you know limited personnel um the question is
when you have say you know YB at 10 two event pmon at 100 and Mount Pleasant at
0 event does each one of these site do they receive some portion direct back
into them or are we simply ATT tax to the to the APA of the side Administration
each one of these the more event the more work you do but you you you don't get
any you're getting penalized for being for provideing great service no that's a
great question yeah so the sites get 85% of the revenue that comes in the
district gets 15% uh so the 85% goes to the site level cost of um maintaining
the events the 15% that comes back to the district helps to offset the utility
cost those kind of stuff that the sites don't pay bathroom toilet papers Etc
paper towel the custodian time to be there that they're paying for but what
about the the time and the expand the resource of the S Administration them
themselves the APA is a valuable resource and and not not a cheap one either if
you don't mind me being so when you m so the way the the cost is mathed out it's
basically a mathematical formula and included in that formula is the cost of
the administrative salaries to oversee the project and a portion of the cost of
the APA salary would have would be included in that calculation so the last
time the calculation was done I think was in 2017 so it needs to be redone
which one of our recommendations and we would want to redo that with the most
current figures but you bring up a good point which is every minute one of our
any employee whether administrator whoever is being pet tasked with this the
minute that they're doing facilities rold for outside agencies as a minute
they're not working directly with our students in in in our campuses and that's
the balance right how to be a fair good neighbor and allow for the use of our
facilities while making sure that we can keep them in good order and also serve
the direct purpose for why we're here which is to make sure we meet our giv our
students where they are and get them toward full participation and anytime we
pull them off that task we pull them off that task there's an absolute
trade-off which is what I'm I'm driving at I I recognize and appreciate we want
to be good neighbor we want to provide the service because the public um pay
essentially you know pay through the bond measures and and taxes Etc but the
time of our staff there is a real value to it and we have limited staff no
matter how we SLI and Di it very good member
Le you have comments
yes um we have an incident last year that the public um
member requests reserve the facility and they have to wait for 3 weeks then the
administrator come back and said sorry we couldn't do it whatever the reason I
was question that how long does it take when Facilitron you know lay out on of
this calendar and if the the public member member public did not see any
blocking on calendar and they sign up or they reserved that because they're
going to have to plan for their event you know within two week or two months or
month and a half to do the fundraiser or something for their religions it's
going to take much longer but when we respond to them like three weeks later
and turn around that they couldn't go anywhere because they already publicized
everything like that I was wondering Facilitron has the mechanism to you know
work with the administrator either administrator know that when is the school
facility or when the school event they would block it but if they don't block
it and Facilitron accept it well and know is subject to administrator but the
time frame is very tyght for member of public I want to be fair because member
public they already invested yeah let me let me go ahead and take this one um
this is part of why we're we're presenting tonight is like when we get to this
rental experience right and you can see hey your requested you've done the
deposit here your request is waiting approval what I think staff will probably
come back with is inverting that which is saying we've approved your request
and now you have so many days to provide a deposit and if you do not then your
then your approval is denied so that's one of the things that we want to talk
about is how we can look at the flow and how the notification so that we don't
have those large gaps in time um and also that someone would have to deposit
and then wait for a long period of time whether it's yes or no and that's not
unique to last year we don't have many cases like that sometimes there are
times when people request and it feels like it takes a long time to get an
answer what we don't want to do is have people have to um put down a a credit
card deposit and then be unsure as to whether or not it's approved so we're
going to look to address the timeline and the notification on that issue
specifically
okay but I will say so our early part of our conversation we
have to be mindful that our administrators and our staff are doing many other
different things during the day um and so there might be times where it's not
currently I think it says here within several business days we're going to have
to be um transparent with the community and say it might take longer for us to
get an initial response to you but once you have that response then the deposit
and insurance will have to be uh proven in a short period of time so you're
going to come back with the time frame when when the member public try to
reserve it and the administrator when review it now finalize the payment even
though they make a payment even though they put a credit card to reserve
doesn't mean that they have yeah so right now it's says look right like if you
look at it now it says your request is now awaiting approval that's post
deposit right so somebody keeps reading go hey I'm not I'm not officially
approved right now I'm awaiting approval I think we can look at work with
theatron to make make it the user experience clear um and so and allow our
Administration to be able to say I still need a little more time to make the
decision but once I make it you'll have this much time to to do the deposit
okay I do have a couple more question uh um I know some place
that they don't have in the Facilitron let's say that the quad of YB or the
space area in front of the um the the stage of and hills and and the community
want to rent it but they couldn't rent it because they don't have it in the Facilitron
so that's is something that you know is like a space it's not a room it's not a
theater it's not you know a um Student Union so I want to bring it out because
other people probably going to have the question that's is the same if the the
the Moon Festival organizing committee they try to book it ahead of time
because they want to organize it but they still cannot get into Facilitron that
that's something that I want to bring it up
right that's an easy fix uh one thing we will have to do as
well will have to provide new funding new uh fee structure for those spaces
that's easy to do so problem okay but I also want to make clear and this is
something that we'll have to work with our community as we think on these
policies and everything that we are not and we are not event centers it's
inherently we're not we're not built for that like we are not a stadium that
was built specifically for that business right right so there are times where
there might be evenings or weekends where we'll have to say to a group we don't
have the Staffing or the availability to do this or the nature of the event um
is unclear to us and therefore we're not able to just open up our entire
grounds for you to use one space and so we'll just have to be mindful of that
the other thing that um groups will have to be I that was my best part sure
that's probably a good omen let's let's call for a a 10-minute break and then
we'll come back after the internet's back up
Patricia: we're back we could um gather us all up again so
we can we're getting into the home stretch here for our meeting so so
[Laughter] okay so okay um all right so superintendent Vander Zee you answer
about the question about like the space was not was including in the Facilitron
so maybe we can with something else right
well actually because the the committee want to to um make
sure that we have you know the place and and so they can plan because without Facilitron
or without things how can they plan okay so those things like that I think I
just want to bring it up I also have the questions uh like some event like
religious event they need to need to um take time for the planning for
decoration decoration and they might not need tons of custodian to care
anything all they want is if they can open the door maybe one person cian and
you know and maybe at the end they will have to come in you know one day before
to prepare a decoration then the next day that they will have a big event so so
what I'm thinking is you know for the preparation for the event like that I
don't know how can we just have to make them to pay like at least two custodian
for four hour each four hour is is that I don't think it makes sense that's
something that the board will have to discuss and take that's the board policy
yeah yeah because right now your board the board policy says that hey if our
schools are open and custodial Services need to be there for the protection of
the individual's renting for the protection of facility in case something goes
wrong that the appropriate person is there to address it and to make sure that
when students and staff show up on Monday if there was a weekend event that hey
we're ready for school and we know this um but also I want to remind um to
pretend that per our cbaa the minimum hours required for a custodial C is three
hours that's correct and so I believe that was part of the presentation and so
we can work with groups to say hey if you're renting a classroom rent it during
this time because there's already custodians on campus but if you are going to
utilize or rent our facilities when custodians aren't on campus um the board is
going to have to take some sort of make some sort of decision whether they're
willing to wave that type of service understanding that currently it's it is in
our collective bargaining agreement and also that um our our buildings are then
open to um to to liability or for something to go wrong without an employee of
ours ready to respond appropriately
Van Le: yeah no no I I understood I I want to protect check
you know our facility as well as you know our employee also my my question
because the community asking me that they just do the preparation just do the
decoration and they don't need you know every two castorian for every 4 Hour you
know from you know the day before you know we open the door and we have one
that the end to close the door but my other question is uh when when M
mentioned here nonprofit SL organization designed to promote Youth and school
activity District May charge it and amount not to exist the direct cost so an
event like uh you know like the Moon Festival um is also promote youth you know
and school Nativity as well as they try to fundraise for our homeless youth
getar back to the uh the boore mentioned about um East um trusty can only
sponsor only one event a year but like I see if if this event that I would
sponsor then I don't have any other event in the community that they asked that
I could not sponsor because I reserve one for and the oran you know for the event
that is already support for Youth and for our homeless student so I think it's
uh maybe we can talk a little bit more policy to maybe increase to you know
event sponsor you know for each truste I don't think it's not asking three or
four but at least two a year uh and if this nonprofit organization you know
that they been have been working with the uh the district year after year like
you know like 10 years and I think we should you know give them some break
anyway in the sense that because they already buil a track record not like a
brand new nonprofit cation to work you know and come in and and do the event
and we don't know that they walk away with damage and whatever you know so so
maybe I just want to throw out a couple things that we look out for the
community as well as for our district so just some follow up questions or those
that type of recommendation is something that the board we'd have to bring to
the board for discussion because currently there is existing policy that limits
it to one per yes I remember also speaks to the need for the indirect cost of
custodial U presence on any other support material so if we were going to bring
that policy to the board for change then we would have to talk about what the
recommended language would be and eventually after second reading take a vote
on that yeah that's the I um one of the questions I asked M while the um while
we were on our break was does our pricing account for um you know weekend use
versus day use meaning you know we'd have to charge overtime you we'd have to
be paying overtime for our custodians and if you wouldn't share mind sharing
the answer you gave me then so the the fees for custodians take into account an
average of our custodian uh salaries um across the board uh so on overtime um
so if you have a head custodian the fees may be a little bit lower than ex
salary if brand new custodian it may be a little bit higher than actual salary
but takes the average of it uh the unfortunate thing though is our fees haven't
been updated updated since 2017 so they need to be updated that's one of the
reasons why we want to come back to you with updated fee schedules um in line
with current dollars thank you that that's coming back or S yeah one of the
things we want to take away from this is um coming back to you guys with
updated schedules very good that's been a Hot Topic in the past so I assume
you're echoing turn not
say Glen could you say that again last time the board had
the discussion there was definitely a diversity of views and and and so um that
will might be something that we might in order that we take that PO policy
decision maybe to the side concurrently as we maybe make other adjustments
within the system as whole doesn't get sidetracked
to okay thank you go ahead Brian:
uh two two particular question questions I mean I just had a
conversation with um our our associate student HR former principal at pman
where she had 100 event at her school you said earlier um so so instead of the
APA so I know our s our principal on our APA they don't get paid over time but
an event as on a Saturday if they had to show up uh technically it doesn't show
up on the from the financial because there's no out of pocket but there is a
tax to our our principal and now administrator because if they come on on
Saturday they're not exactly enthusiastic coming on a Sunday and a Monday and a
Tuesday for the other another 99 event um so how do we calculate for that so it
makes sense uh to the districts because again every time you spend a you're not
spending on B which is our students H um and I want to be a good neighbor I
also want to make sure our students get taken care of how do we calculate for
that yes so our our administrators are not compensated for they don't qualify
for overtime work and so if they do show up for weekend events and especially
if they're extended weekend events we do have Provisions within our AR and our
policies that those administrators can then exchange their non-duty days or
reschedule a non- duty day in exchange for showing up on those weekends one one
more time the last sentence sorry they the administrators who show up on those
weekends for extended periods of time um although they don't get compensated
for it they can exchange that for a non-duty day during their work day they they
come in they open the door they gotta come back to close the door I'm I'm
pretty standard I imagine so does that count it as a whole day or does that
count as it does not 20 minutes 20 minutes it does not count as a whole day so
examples of events that would count for the entire day would be if they had to
show up on a Saturday for the prom or for a playoff football game that that
requires them to be there for the entire day then they can use those those days
and those times to then extra to then exchange for non-duty days beyond that
our administrators are not compensating in any way for any extra time that they
put in thank you that's a bden if you have 100 event or plus event at your
school um and I think that conversation we need to have that on the board at
some point based on some of the requests that trusty L have asked for by
increasing the number of um sponsor event yeah we're going to have to look at
it it's an in its totality right and just looking at where if we add here what
it takes away from somewhere else and so that doesn't NE if it's 102 events
doesn't necessarily mean that one administrator went in 102 times right or that
some of these events didn't happen during the week right but it is something
that we can look at and just be understanding of the fact that you know our
custodians work hard during the week and asking them to come in in the weekend
there's cost that our administrators work hard during the week and when you
know you know as administrators we go bring it on we got this but there there
is there is a cost to all because St want to work every single Saturday I want
to go back to a quick question do the side administrator have any knowledge of
the deposit been collected or how it works do they have any knowledge of as
that process happen on Facilitron do they they got an indicator uh do you mean
like how the funds are split or the revenue they bring in
or yeah so the a report U that they get every day so whoever
is signed as the main account holder of the site so like for the Ed center it's
me for the sites it's Gally the apaa they'll get a report every day showing the
uh you have this in your queue or you have that in your queue
basically okay I'd like to wrap up this conversation but go
ahead okay thank you quickly please yes just a comment by one board member not
a directive if we don't already have builtin customer uh feedback or
satisfaction feedback It's seems like it could be done fairly simply with a
numeric scale on a scale of one to five how was this how was that and then
leave an open-ended thing for any comments they want to add and just have it be
part of the system how it operates now that that's great right so just like not
necessarily retroactively but going forward just build that in and have people
be able to say how was their experience I I think that's great because then
it's really them doing the work right this time it was the president speaking
not just me makes total sense okay and it could be optional too right so that
people don't feel like it's cumbersome oh I have to fill out another server I
mean we want to know looking at data but like if someone just opts out then
they should be I forgot to add the word option optional customer feedback very
good okay wow you have earned your your it was greator T thank you so much for
the indepth um you know all the research you did and and the very thorough
presentation we appreciate it I appreciate your time thank youy thanks thanks
Matt and to the team for putting that in and hanging out with us till 8:30
Không có nhận xét nào:
Đăng nhận xét